In early June, Leon Ward and I teamed up in Oslo chatting about his OpenFPC and my FPCGUI project. I met Leon for the first time in April 2009 at Sourcefires offices in Wokingham, UK, and I have chatted with him now and then on IRC etc. since then.
I started using Sourcefire 3D in December 2008, and the first thing I was missing was the lack of pcaps from the events that I got. The second was the real-time view that you get in Sguil (I can live without that though).
So I needed a second host that did full packet capture along side my new IPS/IDS. Just running tcpdump/daemonlogger/sancp is OK for a small installation, but carving out the sessions manually was taking time. I needed to script something that would take an easy interface, so I could quickly get a pcap from the whole sessions I was getting events from. So I was thinking of an API and a easy way to add this to the Sourcefire 3D WebGUI.
My PoC was FPCGUI (Full Packet Capture Graphical User Interface). It can take a query in the URL, search the flow data from its database and give you the sessions details if it exists. If you click on the session, you will get the pcap served straight in you face, and I choose to open my pcaps with wireshark. With a little grease monkey magic, this would have been an OK solution for satisfying my pcap needs working with SF3D.
I made my thoughts public in a blog post in September 2009 and started coding right away. I also discussed FPCGUI with Leon the day after I posted the blog. The first release that worked good enough for me was in January 2010. Leon released his project in May 2010, and I quickly saw that we where doing more or less the same. He had implemented the distributed node part, which I had not started to even draft, and I had the WebGUI and flowdata which gives more meaning and is more user friendly to the analyst.
So, instead of working on two separate projects (aiming for the same goal), we decided to join forces and merge the two projects. And as I thought that OpenFPC is a better name than FPCGUI, OpenFPC it is
I have merged my parts slowly into OpenFPC during the summer, with vacation time and changing job, I did not have much time for coding on the side. We also re-factored much of the code, file names etc., so getting thing to a working condition has been the main task.
As of the last weeks, I can now install OpenFPC and use it in the way that I want it again, like I did with FPCGUI. The plus is that I now have a command line interface, a distributed architecture (Not WebGUI friendly yet), and a way to automagically extract pcaps and files in it, for automatic analysis
To test my dream of automatic analysis, I used a setup similar to this earlier blog post where I more or less did the same. I carve the pcap with openfpc-client (which will come from an event from an IDS or nftracker), extract files with tcpxtract (or simular tools), scan files with ClamAV and also test md5/sha sums towards shadowserver, virustotal or wepawet. I tried some different infected and non infected PDF files. All files I had to test with was detected with ClamAV, even my home grown metasploit PDF. All known bad PDF files was detected with the md5/sha sum of the files towards the different services (shadow/VT/wepawet), but again, only ClamAV detected my home made metasploit PDF.
evil.pdf: Heuristics.PDF.ObfuscatedNameObject FOUND
So, now I will have more events to live with